Monday, Oct 24th was a new day of adventure, challenges, hopes and fears. This was the day I was returning to my clinical rotations for PA school and Cameron was starting daycare.
The week prior to that, Cam and I took a trip (as in the half mile from our house) to get acquainted with the staff and infant room where Cam will be spending a great deal of his daily life, at least until we move to Louisville. I truly like Creation Kingdom. It's Christian based, fairly new and they have a webcam service that is available during operating hours to view the room of your child. For $205/wk, it better be awesome!!! Nonetheless, we spent about 45min each day there. I will say it wasn't the most pleasant experience, because as a mother of a child who is about to start, I was scrutinizing everything. (Oh, that girl has a runny nose, that kid just spit up and it's on the floor in which Cam might lay, that kid is drooling all over that book and Cam might put it in his mouth after that.....you see it all.) I reminded myself that the facility is clean and it's just part of the game going to daycare. I did, however, chat with the teachers, whom are very friendly. I expressed my only negative thought to daycare (ie 'the working mom') is that my child will be spending more time with "strangers" than with me during the week and how I'd hate to know he reaches all his developmental milestones with them, not me. She informed me that they do not tell the parents when the child does certain things (ie sit up, roll over, first word, first step) so that the mother always believes it happens for them. Makes sense I suppose...
That Friday afternoon I was emailed my clinical rotation confirmation that was to start the following Monday. Much to my surprise it was Emergency Medicine. ER at St Claire Hospital in Morehead was not what I was expecting, mainly because my ER rotation was already confirmed for UofL in April. ER is one of those rotations I've been dreading. I am a clinic girl. I enjoy 8-5 (not 12hr shifts) and a calm atmosphere in which I get to develop a medical relationship with my patients. The fear of the dealing with the worst accidents and being thrown into chaos was somewhat frightening. I do believe that having ER in Morehead could actually be a blessing in disguise for the sheer fact that it is a small town hospital, unlike the trauma level at UofL. So I braced myself and was ready for the challenge. I've seen a variety of illnesses, some true emergencies, some just scares and I've been able to do procedures/suture that will help with all other rotations so I welcome the ER for the great learning experience!!!!
Monday AM came and went. The first week came and went. I am now at the halfway point on this ER rotation and enjoying it. I don't love it, but I know this is a great place for practice and for learning a broad level of pertinent information. Cam seems to enjoy daycare and I love reading the reports that are sent home daily. He already has artwork hanging on the frig (see last picture below)!!!!
He's already 11 weeks old (11/1) and it's hard to believe my 31st birthday and his 3 month old "birthday" is in the next week or so!
Here's a few pix:
I know that first day and week were rough but you made it through! Colin goes to CK too but I'm sure you suspected that since I passed you several times early in the morning (:
ReplyDeleteCam seems like a happy baby with all those gummy smiles (:
Glad you both are doing great!! Can is a doll! $200/wk for daycare is crazy! But i know its the norm in Lex. Lucas goes to a private sitter with 4 kids for $75/wk!!! I love small towns!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on making it through!!! I was just like you on Anna's first few days at school, I analyzed EVERYTHING and then finally saw how happy she was and how much she was learning while there and decided it wasn't worth my time. Don't you love the "artwork" they send home?
ReplyDeleteI don't know who -S is above, but in Cincinnati we pay $1175 a month ($290ish) per week ... yes, that's more than my mortgage ... so, I'm totally jealous!!