Thursday, November 17, 2011

When it rains, it pours.....

Kneesa Update:  Her fungal titer is not back yet. Doc is hoping to know something by tomorrow, when I called yesterday to ask about it. She said she feels that is a good sign though, saying that they must be having a hard time trying to grow any fungus if it's taking this long, but we'll wait and see.

She said that if the titer comes back negative, we have a few options as our "next step".

Since Kneesa has not shown any signs or symptoms that would resemble a sickness, disease or infection, she believes we should not go aggressively towards a diagnosis. I, on the other hand, can not handle just leaving it in the open but I will try my best especially considering K doesn't seem to think anything is wrong.

Doc said we could:
1) Just repeat the chest x-ray in 2-4 weeks and see if we see any changes regarding the infiltrates in the hilar region of her lung. If there are no changes, we will not do anything unless Kneesa shows S&S that would indicate a new x-ray is needed.

2) Be referred to an Internal Med Specialist in Louisville for a possible biopsy of the area. If this involved cracking open her chest, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with that. Who knows the cost of this option although a second opinion might be worth just a consultation. 

3) They have a CT machine there that would give a better picture of the shape/size/density of the infiltrates but she would have to undergo anesthesia and it's $1500 that could still potentially not give us a definite answer.

She said in her honest, medical opinion she would choose #1. She said she would tell me if she truly thought it was necessary to do #2 or 3 this soon in the ballgame. So it looks like we'll wait for the titer to come back and if it's negative, do a repeat CXR in a few weeks. If no changes, we will continue on with our lives until something comes up. Shannon likes that choice anyhow (given it's the cheapest option of the bunch). NOW.....I'm not sure if it's my Type A personality, my medical background or just because it's 'my dog'....but I will admit that it is going to be difficult for me to just pretend everything is fine not having a true answer/diagnosis regardless if Kneesa seems perfectly fine. Every cough, whine, puke, or diarrhea spell is going to make me question some disease state progressing, but I will try my best to believe in the Vet and have faith my KK isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Thanks for all the prayers and just to be on the safe side, you might as well make it one of your nightly prayers if you don't mind! ;o)
To add to the pot....that same horrid day (Friday 11/11/11) I had a Derm appt because I noticed a changing nevus (mole) on my arm.  It seemed darker and a bit scaly.  She removed it and sent it off...and said she would call if it was not normal, but mail a letter if it came back OK.   So, again, my stress level was up and anxiety would have taken over had I not had my mind on Kneesa and trying to find a way to study for my ER exam that is on 11/18.  Well today (11.17) my phone rings "DAK-PA-C Braye Rueff" .......   ohh great!  She informed me it was just atypical so not to worry, but with atypical moles, they always choose to completely excise the entire thing.  Looks like another appointment for complete removal to prevent melanoma from creeping up. 

And talk about stress.....12hour shifts in the ER....in Morehead....with the commute.....4 12hr a week...equals sheer exhaustion.  I have a max of 4hours being home (awake) on those days to shower, unpack/repack food, breast pump accessories, make bottles for the next day, eat, walk K and try to fit some QT with Cam and some type of quick convo with the honey...so where does that leave studying? Ummm crammed into the weekend.  Maybe...but I always seem to have something going on or I'm so exhausted, I'd rather sleep and spend it with Cam.  So now, I'm at T-minus 24 hours until exam time and I'm freaking out. 

So far being 31 just hasn't had it's glory except for the fact Cam turned 3 months on 11/16. (I'll do another post since this is getting a bit wordy).  Maybe 2012 will be a better part of my 31th year alive.  I should say I am thankful to be alive, healthy, faith in God, with a roof over my head, a vehicle, and a family I love.  I suppose those are blessings that should never be overlooked.   

Here's to finding the best in the worst....and not making a mountain out of a mole hill.   Bring it on world, I am a Type A, multi-tasking, very organized gal that can handle it.....(with a few minor breakdowns along the way).   ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment