By the school's schedule, I am only 1 month behind because I started my rotations 3 weeks earlier than everyone. So when I confirmed my return to clerkships for Sept 26th, knowing Cam would only be 6 weeks starting daycare, I was prepared. This is something I've known about since I told the program I was pregnant. I am such a type A, routine needed, planner that I knew I would be ready to return and I was right. Not that I was ready to leave Cam or have him in daycare per sa, but I was ready for our routine that we would have and to return to my rotations solely because the sooner I return, the sooner I graduate.
WELL....... since the last of the pregnant girls finish in August, the program decided to inform us on 9/23 that the only make-up exam offered will be the August 10th time frame. So for me, that would mean finish the program @ July 13th...wait a month to take the exit exam....then study/take the CME course (which is only offered Aug 22nd in the month of August that is close to KY) so another month would pass by the time I took my boards. Too much time off spells disaster to me. So if I take this month off (which I am now), I would "catch up" to the August graduation people and have another 4 weeks off with Cam.
So cheers to this number 4 being 4 more weeks at home with cam-a-lam! Maybe I'll work harder at the 4 hours of sleep considering he sleeps well and Shannon has been putting him down after his 9p feeding so I can get in bed an hour or so earlier!!
Another good thing that starts with 4--as of today I have 483oz of frozen breastmilk I've pumped for future use!!!!
On another note, I'm not sure how common this is for breastfeeding women, but for me it has happened three times in the last 3 weeks. I'm talking about clogged breast ducts!! OUCH! The first time it happened I was fairly certain I knew what had happened; whether that's my being in PA school, instinct, or what. What I wasn't certain on was how fast mastitis could set in. I confirmed I didn't have a fever, my breast wasn't warm to touch nor painful so I felt some relief when I called my OB to ask for advise. Heat (shower, compresses), massaging, nursing and pumping were the answer. Well, it worked!! For anyone that might have this happen, never fear. Push through the tender pain of nursing and the odd feeling of your breast being hard as a rock. It goes away within 12-24 hours!!
My big man at 5 1/2 weeks!

Yay for extra time!! I've had two clogged ducts and mastisis. The clogged ducts were a walk in the park with a personal fanner compared to mastisis and was totally different than a clogged duct, if you get it you'll know. Luckily antibiotics had me feeling better within a couple of days, but it's no joke and I felt the after effects for at least a week ... oh yeah, and this happened the day we started our vacation, nothing like a 101 degree fever and a steel boob while you're overnighting halfway with yoru in-laws. Fun times : ) My OB said that mastisis is caused by bateria in your baby's mouth and generally doesn't stem from a clogged duct, nor is there any way to prevent it. More fun times!
ReplyDeleteI had a clogged duct too. It was no fun at all!
ReplyDeleteOuch! Did you really say that you have 483 ounces of milk? Um, that's enough for like an entire 3rd world country! Calm it down milk cow (:
ReplyDeleteCam is gonna be the only kid in kindergarten with breastmilk in his thermos. That is a lot of frozen milk!!!
ReplyDelete