Monday, September 3, 2012

Breathing Treatments Blow....

Literally...they blow pressurized air and albuterol into the nose/mouth of a person needing their "lungs opened".  I've prescribed (via my preceptor, because I haven't taken my boards yet to officially practice medicine) duo-nebs (nebulizers aka breathing treatments) to children, but I guess it's always best to empathize with parents because we were given Cam one for 5 days 3x/day.  These have been the LONGEST 15min of my life.  No joke.  It's terrible.  I feel so bad for my little man. 

On Thursday, I had made an appointment for him because he has been coughing, primarily throughout the night, for the last 2 weeks and given Shannon had pneumonia, I wanted a reassuring "yes, he's fine".  We head to the Peds office with a happy man..... the picture below is him happy as a lark and his eyes closed tightly every time the loud noise of the toy stick he had in his hand, hit the seat.  ha.


Doesn't seem sick, right!?  Well, she listened closely and said he was wheezing and wanted him to have a breathing treatment in the office.  Boy, will I always pity the mother when I hear the child screaming bloody murder in the clinic, because that's exactly what happened. 

They brought the nebulizer in and the 15 min count down started.  From minute ONE, Cam was screaming, crying, and flailing his arms and legs.  His face was beet red and he was not a happy camper.  What seemed like an eternity, the 15 min lapsed.  I was sweating and my neck was broken out from my blood pressure rising with each scream he made and tear he shed. 

She said the nebulizer just made his wheezing worse because he must have been so tight, so she wanted us to do it for 5 days, 3x/day with a follow up appointment on Tuesday.  Great!  Just what I wanted to hear. 

While I haven't had the heart to take a picture of my poor, vulnerable child with tears streaming down his face and this mask over his nose and mouth, I did take a picture of the nebulizer.   For those parents with asthmatic children (I PRAY this is not going to be the case for Cam), I feel for you.  I truly empathize with the process.  As it goes, the "A's" follow the leader.  There's a higher chance of asthma, if your child had Atopic Dermatitis (eczema) and Allergies.  Well, Cam has both.  So, I'm praying we don't have to battle asthma.  Neither of us (Shannon or I) had it. 



Doesn't this apparatus look scary?  It is! haha jk.  But for a child, I'm sure it is.  It is noisy and blows air/steam through the orange part that covers their nose/mouth.

To top of off, at his 12mo check up appointment (weighing 23lb), they said his Iron is low and we have to give him iron supplements for 4 weeks with a follow up appointment to retest. Lovely. I thoroughly enjoy the nasty, thick, smelly liquid iron that we have to give him. And here I thought breastfeeding for a year would give him all the nutrients he needed. Guess I was wrong! Maybe it's because mommy doesn't eat meat. ****SIGH**** 

I hate my boy having "issues" of any sort.  Breaks my heart.  :(

1 comment:

  1. Really sorry to read about this Kristen, I can imagine it's a scary ordeal to go through.

    ReplyDelete