Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cam's first night transitioning into the crib....

Well, we made the jump.  Did we want to? Yes and No.  Did we need to? Maybe...maybe not.   No one truly knows the "best" ideal situation for a baby, moreless reading a book to explain to you about YOUR baby.  But, we've fallen into the "do what the book suggests" category and prepared ourselves for last night.

I actually love waking up to only sit up in bed and see my sweet sleeping boy making all of his precious gurgling and cooing noises in his swing, but I know he will sleep better once he sleeps through the night in his crib, as will mommy.   Last night we made the plunge to start the crib sleeping transition.   I fed him around 9pm (like always) and then Shannon took him into his room to prepare for bed (pajamas, read a book, rock a bit) and layed him down awake (as the books we've read says to do). 

Well...Well...Well.....can I just say it was 2am (when I fed him again and put him in the crib sound asleep) before he actually slept for a period longer than 20 minutes.  He would whimper, then he would cry, then it was full blown hysterical screaming.  We didn't let him "cry it out" for too long, especially when it was the screaming cry.  We took turns going into his room, trying to soothe him by rubbing his belly (which didn't really work) until he calmed down and then leave again.  From 9-2a, it was up and down, up and down, up and down for ole mom and dad!!   We also gave him his pacy (which the books say to not do) but it did soothe him (until he was almost asleep and it fell out, which then caused the screaming again...which is probably why the books say not to do it!! ha).    Finally, after a full belly and complete exhaustion at 2am, he slept until 6am.  I guess that's OK for Cam's first night in the crib.  

He looked so little and lonely in his big crib that doesn't have anything but him and his tiny cotton blanket.  I was so happy to see him this morning as if we went away for the night.  Also, why does a "bedding set" even come with a bumper if you aren't suppose to use it when he's this small nor when they know how to stand ...!?!?  What, is there a 1 month window where it's OK to use!?   What a waste!!!  And Cam loves to be warm and snuggle with his daddy.  So to put him in the bed with just a thin blanket is not his cup of tea.  Yes, I am fully aware of SIDS so I will abide by the "rules".   I just hope he adjusts within a week or so. 

It goes to show that you have to do what works best for you and your little family and not worry about what the books say to do.  So, thank you to all of those that have told me that!  They are there for a guide as are pediatricans, other parents and your own parents.  This is a part of parenthood that is trial and error.   I have to say it was not a complete success or failure, but simply walking down a bumpy, windy road, which I am happy to take that journey with him.  I am pleased, although a bit saddened.  I feel like he's growing up way too fast.  I can't believe next week is already 4 weeks from when I was suppose to go back to rotations.  Crazy I only have one more week at home.  

We'll see how the next few nights go.....

Look at that precious boy (8wk old) ....how could you not want to wake up to that!? ;oP
**Please ignore my voice, just stick with mute!

No comments:

Post a Comment