Saturday, August 13, 2011

The full 40 weeks and nothing shy of it...

Tomorrow (Sunday) I will be 40 weeks.  I'm right at Cameron's due date and he still is not showing any signs of coming out.   This past Wednesday at my OB appointment, I was hoping Dr. Butler was going to be able to strip my membrane if I wasn't progressing.     So I get there, I lost 2lb and my BP was still a bit on the high side (130/70) but not terrible.     Looks like I'm sitting at the 40lb weight gain, swelling and a bit miserable when it comes to breathing and the urge to urinate every 15 minutes.  I guess given my short torso and the fact he hasn't dropped is his way of still pressing against my lung capacity as well as my bladder.  Ohh fun times!!!   ;o) 

In comes the doc, and go figure- I was not dilated any, barely effaced, and my cervix was still posterior...which means he couldn't even strip me because my cervix was too far back.  I talked to him about not wanting to be induced or have a c-sec if I can help it YET I am on a time frame because I start my rotations back on Sept 26th so if I decided to "wait it out another 2 weeks" - I would only have 4 weeks off.  Yes, I could take Oct off if I absolutely needed to, but I just want to finish school, graduate and get a job already!! 

So he decided to check fetal weight and fluid via ultrasound.  My fluid level was great, no wonder the little fart is enjoying his time in there.   Then comes the estimated "weight" of this child....he measured his head and said "looks like he's got a big head" --and my response was "ohh great, so now I get to enjoy tearing."  His abdomen and femur were also measured which was then taken into consideration of an estimated 8 pound 5 oz boy.  He also showed me his testicles....hehehehe   Definitely a boy!! 

After the U/S, I asked for Dr Butler's honest opinion in regards to my delivery and wants.  He said given my small frame size and given the estimated size of Cameron, if I don't want a c-sec I should be induced soon.  He also said that since my cervix is still posterior and I'm not showing any signs of labor, being induced increases my risk of a c-sec so it seems its a 50% chance at this point.   I was a bit bummed out while he was telling me all this.  I just wanted things to happen naturally, such as my water breaking while I'm sleeping and we wake up and go to the hospital.....but I also know few people's water actually breaks.  I guess I was wanting the "fairytale" labor & delivery story.   

  I told Dr. Butler that I would be OK with being induced then.  So I have an appointment with him on Monday at 11:15am to check me again and discuss everything and then Monday night at 8pm we will go to the hospital and I will get either Cyctotec or Cervadil to ripen my cervix.  Tuesday AM will start the IV pitocin and then let the games begin.  If all goes to plan, I will have Cameron vaginally mid day on Tuesday (8/16/11).   But as we know, God has His own plans and I'm at the mercy of Him so it's what He wants.  If a c-sec, or 12+hr labor is what is in store, then so be it.  As long as we are healthy and safe during the process, that's all that truly matters.  I honestly believe Cam would stay in my belly for a few more weeks, he seems to be very comfortable making me uncomfortable.  

You would think I would enjoy being induced given that I know the date because of my type A, planning personality, but I'm not.  I might have a different story after this process, but I just wanted God's miracle to happen on it's own time (although I wanted that time to be before 40 weeks---hahaha).   So maybe I did try to plan this out the entire time.  That's what I get, I suppose!!! 

I called my mom to ask about her deliveries.  (As they say, you follow in similar footsteps of your mother in regards to pregnancy).   She didn't get any stretch marks, neither did I.  Check.     She had Raymond and I vaginally but little miss Megan was a C-sec and when I asked why, she said "hmm I think it's because she wouldn't drop..."  She had me when she was 22-23yo, Raymond @ 24-25yo...so she was close to my age when she had Megan.  OHHH great....sounds JUST LIKE my situation.   So I'm trying to gear myself up for a c-sec.  Dr B said that he knows I'll bounce right back given the fact I've worked out/ran the entire pregnancy so to not worry about it.   I suppose there's some truth to that, but I've never had surgery before nor spent the night in a hospital so I'm afraid my nerves will get the best of me come Monday night.  

I've been told by some to try EPO (primrose oil) as it can help ripen the cervix.  I have tried every "home remedy" possible and nothing seems to help so I believe I'm going to give this a shot this weekend.  

Shannon has been nesting like crazy.  It's cute though because I haven't been.  He has rearranged cabinets in the kitchen and bought organizers for some of the drawers.  He's practically decorated Cam's entire room and keeps trying to have all the electronic items (ie monitor, etc) in just the perfect place.   He's been great during this pregnancy.  I couldn't have asked for a better partner to go through this journey with.  I'm so excited to see him once Cam arrives.  Let's just hope he doesn't faint.  He's not a fan of blood, needles, etc....so our hospital stay might get interesting.    :o)

Well my next post will probably be after our baby boy has arrived!!!  Please keep us in your prayers. 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Just keep an open mind and everything will be just fine. Just remember it's all worth it in the end and God has a sneaky little way of not letting us remember much about labor so we'll be willing to do it again (:

    ReplyDelete